1. What is a skilled employment statement?
The Department of Immigration and Border Protection (DIBP) Points Test for Skilled Migration is a transparent and objective method of selecting skilled migrants with the skills and attributes needed in Australia.
DIBP will award points for employment in a skilled occupation, either in Australia and/or overseas towards a visa application.
To claim points for skilled employment, the experience must be in an applicant’s nominated occupation, or a closely related occupation. In determining whether an applicant’s skilled employment is closely related to their nominated occupation, the department will consider the occupations assessed by AITSL.
Applicants will be awarded points based on demonstration of a verifiable skilled employment history undertaken in the last 10 years as follows:
Australian skilled employment
| Points || Length of employment
| 5 || At least one but less than three years (past 10 years)
| 10 || At least three but less than five years (past 10 years) || |
| 15 || At least five but less than eight years (past 10 years) || |
| 20 || At least eight and up to ten years (past 10 years) || |
Overseas skilled employment
| Points || Length of employment
| 5 || At least three but less than five years (past 10 years)
| 10 || At least five but less than eight years (past 10 years) || |
| 15 || At least eight but less than ten years (past 10 years) || |
| || || |
Australian and overseas employment over the past ten years can be combined, however the maximum number of points that can be awarded for Australian or overseas employment experience or combinations of both is 20 points.
The DIBP considers skilled employment in the nominated occupation or a closely related occupation will comprise at least 20 hours employment per week.
2. Can AITSL prepare a skilled employment statement?
AITSL will prepare a skilled employment statement for applicants who receive a positive assessment outcome and submit appropriate evidence.
At the time of applying for a skills assessment, you do not need to have worked as a school teacher. Therefore you do not need to request a Skilled Employment Statement.
AITSL does not reply to requests for job placements nor can we give advice on the allocation of points.
3. What documents are required?
The skilled employment advice is based on original statements of employment only. Statements of employment remain an official AITSL record and will NOT be returned to the applicant.
Certified copies of employment statements, pay slips or employment contracts are not acceptable.
The original statement must be on the official letterhead of the employing authority, be signed and dated and include the following information:
- name of school
- name of employer
- address of employer
- dates of employment - start and finish dates (month/year)
- title of position/job
- hours of employment per week
AITSL will only consider:
- original statements of employment that include the full details requested by AITSL
- employment undertaken after the completion of a recognised initial teacher education qualification
- employment as a school teacher in the occupations assessed by AITSL
- employment in registered school settings
- ongoing employment in periods of four weeks or more and for no less than 20 hours per week
- employment in Australia in your nominated occupation or closely related skilled occupation for a period totalling at least 12 months (1 year). For detailed information refer http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/general-skilled-migration/new-skilled.htm
- employment outside Australia in your nominated occupation or closely related skilled occupation for a period totalling at least 36 months (3 years). For detailed information refer http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/general-skilled-migration/new-skilled.htm
4. Can I apply for a skilled employment statement at the same time I apply for my skills assessment?
Yes. Complete the Request for a skilled employment statement form (69KB DOCX), attach your original statements of employment and include with your skills assessment application.
You will only be issued with a skilled employment statement if your assessment outcome is positive.
No fee is required for this service.
5. Can AITSL provide a skilled employment statement after an assessment outcome has been issued?
Yes, applicants who hold a valid AITSL Skills Assessment Certificate may apply to AITSL for a skilled employment statement during the validity period of their skills assessment – two years from the date of issue.
Applicants may apply for a new/revised statement to include additional employment undertaken after the initial skilled employment statement was issued if the Skills Assessment Certificate is valid.
Complete the Request for a request for skilled employment (69KB DOCX) and attach your original statements of employment.
The fee for each additional service is AUD215 per request.